|Before adding a new program, you should have the following information ready about each of your audio files:
- Bitrate (optional)
- Stereo or Mono
|There is no maximum file size but you should try to be reasonable. It is often more user friendly to have a few smaller files than one very large file.
Begin adding your program
Begin adding your program
New features and inprovements
Improved validation added to Step 2 of Add Program to prevent adding of duplicate and blank Categories.
A number of significant improvements have been to the program Exchange:
1) Program List dicplay imprvoe and more info added. More information has been added to the List Programs page showing the Program Language, Producer or user who uploaded the program and the Series Name
2) On the Program Detail page - if you are logged in and viewing one of your own programs you will see two new links at the bottom Edit Program and Add Another File. More about these in a moment. Times for each file are listed and the Length shown in the upper right column represents the total for all of the files
Most changes relate to adding or editing programs.
3) Better tracking of time information. On the first Add New Program page (Step 1) the field to enter the program length have been removed. They now appear in step 4 (Uploads Files) Validation has been improved you will now get a message rather than an error if you leave a required field blank.
4)Multiple Category Assignment On the Choose Topic page (Step 3) you can now actually assign more than on category. Previous you could choose a second but a a bug meant that your second choice replaced your first. This has now been fixed.
Warning: if you assign the same Topic twice, you will get an error. If you get this error, use the back link on the error page to go back to the Topic page and remove the duplicate Topic. I will be adding a check to remove duplicates automatically.
5)File Upload Improvements. Upload Files page (Step 4). Lots of changes here. Three new Fields have been added here.
* File Label - a name that can be attached to the file's record that may be more instructive to the user than the filename. Its use is not fully implemented but among other things this field will be able to be used to indicate the correct order of files for programs made up of more than one audio file.
* Length - This is the duration of for the this file being uploaded. This field used to be in Step 1 and apply to the whole program but now applies to just this program.
* Comments - any useful information that applies to this file.
All information added on this page applies to this specific file being uploaded rather then the entire program.
You can add more than one file to a program.
6)Total Program Duration calculated automatically. Pressing Next processes all the information you added so far. The new wrinkle added here is that the total program duration is calculated automatically by adding together the times of each file. This total value is what is displayed in the Program List and Program Detail pages.
7)Links for Edit Program and Add Another File added to Program Detail Page. You end up at the Program Detail page.
Edit Program takes you to Step 1 to edit the Program
Add Another File takes you directly to Upload File (Step 4) where you can upload another file. From Step 4 you can also remove and replace files previously uploaded. You have always been able to upload more than one file but the process has been cluck and less than obvious.
A bug has been fixed that caused an error when you tried to upload a third file to a Program (this is what was causing you a problem last week, Kristin).
A further improvement will be added to allow you to upload multiple files in one operation, but hopefully this will make the process of adding additional files to a Program clearer and easier to use for the time being.
Filtering of Program by Topic, Type and Program Length added.
Programs can now be filtered by specifying programn Topic or program Type from the hierarchies or by specifying a program length. In each case, filteres can be slected from proived lists of options.
Selection of Categories (dspChooseCategory.cfm) was converted to a Custom Tag to avoid interaction between instances when more than one choose category function is needed on a single page (as with LocalNav.cfm)
The ability to create a Series and assign a program to it has been added.
A hierarchal catetgotization schemm has been implimented. Two category hierarchies have been set up for Program Topic and Program Type. The scheme has been implimented to allow it to be easily used with other application on the site.
The scheme uses the Nested Tree Model (NTM) to create the hierarchy. This allow a very efficient, powerful and flexible categotrization scheme. Admin interface has been created to allow new categories to be created and managed.
A paginated or Next N interface has been implimented for the display of the list of Programs. The display is set to show 15 items at a time with Next and Back links, a display showing what part of the recordset you are lokking at (Record x to y of n records) and links to all pages at the bottom of the display table.
The Next N display also allows the user to change the column the table is sorted on and direction of the sort by clicking on the column headers.
The Next N display has been written to allow the code to be shared via server-side includes with other pages needing an Next N interface.
I have uploaded the latest changes/improvements to the Program Exchange.
I didn't get a chance to complete the Series section so I have removed reference to it for the time being except in the navigation. It is late and it would take a couple more hours fix it up properly. When it is done Series will be able to be added and edited. When adding a new program, only the series owned or created by the user will appear in the drop down box on the first program add page.
When adding a record you can go backwards and forwards through the steps with out losing information so you can go back and change information you have already entered. I'll be adding in "Back" buttons to go with the "Next Step" buttons.