Community Forum on National Security, Arbitrary Arrests and the Criminalization of Dissent in Canada
Uploaded: 20 Sep, 2006
Recording Date: 23 Jun, 2006
Recording Location: Toronto
Topical for: Timeless
Copyright: non-profit use only, please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you air this
Program Title: Community Forum on National Security, Arbitrary Arrests and the Criminalization of Dissent in Canada
Description: Toronto event on Friday June 23, 2006.
"The recent arrests of 17 young Muslim men, the mass arrests of about a 100 African-Canadian men (many were later released without charge), and the
ongoing attacks on Indigenous communities bring to a head many questions about racial/cultural profiling, protection of fundamental human rights and liberties of marginalized groups, and concerns about the criminalization of dissent."
Featured Speakers/Guests: Rocco Galati, constitutional lawyer; Rinaldo Walcott, Professor and Canada Research Chair, Ontario Institutes for Studies in Education (OISE); Sherene Razack (OISE); Winnie Ng, Canadian Labour Congress; Amina Ally, educator; Zainab Amadahy, Coalition in S
Credits: CKLN 88.1fm www.ckln.fm
Comments: Moderator/Introductions: Tariq Amin-Khan, Forum of Progressive Pakistani-Canadians
- Amina Ally, educator
- Sherene Razack, Ontario Institutes for Studies in Education (OISE)
- Rinaldo Walcott, Professor and Canada Research Chair, OISE
- Zainab Amadahy, Coalition in Support of Indigenous Sovereignty
- Hazem Jamjoum, Canadian Arab Federation
- Winnie Ng, Canadian Labour Congress
- Jacqueline House, Kanenhstaton Reclamation Site, Six Nations
- Rocco Galati, constitutional lawyer
Having trouble uploading the rest of the speeches, more coming soon.